my soft spot

just a mom who plays hockey and knits

Wednesday, April 13, 2005

By God, I can DO this job!

My work often ebbs and flows. When it flows, I'm busy and happy. When it ebbs, bleah, progress is slow, I'm frustrated and depressed. I've had an ebb lately. But yesterday I went off on a tangent (as I am wont to do, especially when deadlines loom, and it is often A Bad Thing, as it saps my energy and time and I rarely get the tangent idea done and running in a reasonable amount of time), flow-charted this whole logical set of conditions, and made changes to my code resulting from that flow chart. The whole flow chart is on my white board, in five colors.

(I was freaked out it would be erased by accident, so I hunted around and lo and behold, MicroSnoft has done something right for once: they had a flowchart template on their website. After some missteps--including being forced to use their piece o'cwap browser--I got the .CAB [WTF?] downloaded, opened it in WinZip, and opened the template in Excel. Woo, nice! I was even able to use my colors. And then I printed out on a B&W printer. Sometimes I'm a little slow up on the uptake.)

So I compiled it last night, fixed a few niggling bugs, got it linking, and left it alone. Used it today, and Hallelujah! it works and solved the bug it was meant to solve.

The whole time I'm flow-charting, I'm feeling ALIVE. I love logical progression stuff! I think maybe I was meant to be an EE instead. But to go back to school... I don't think so!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home