my soft spot

just a mom who plays hockey and knits

Friday, April 15, 2005

My poor memory

I have unbelievably poor short-term memory. I very often walk into a room, wonder why I'm there, return to where I was, remember why I left, walk back, and forget again. I sometimes set timers and then put sticky notes on them to remind me what that timer was for. I tell stories to friends who've already heard them. My sister loves to irritate me by saying, "You already told me that, Dad," since our dad will tell you stories again and again. In my defense, once you tell me you've heard it, I stop. Unlike my sainted father, bless his heart. (and also in my defence, I've learned to start a story, and stop and ask, "Did I tell you this already?")

So, what is it? Do I have a form of ADHD? Will gingko biloba help? Another stimulant? Should I take up reg. coffee again? (blech, no thanks; now, a regular cup of coffee makes me nauseated, jittery, and irritable. Friends say, "And that's different from normal... how?")

My SMC email list is discussing "What's the dumbest thing you've done because of Mommy Brain?" I can't even remember (how sad is that?), and I'm sure it's because I've blocked them from my memory (or, ya know, see above).

Do you drive away from your house and honestly wonder whether you even shut the door, much less locked it? Ever woken up in the morning to find your keys still in the front door for all the world to see? Ever walk up to your office, which has required a card key for entry for the past 3 years, and still just try to yank the door open? Ever have something you have to do every week, and still manage to forget it at least half the time? (e.g., bringing a clean sheet to my son's daycare, past 3+ yrs)

Well, I'm glad I make lists, have a PDA to remember things for me, back it up to my computer, and sync some things to my iPod. (and still, I manage to forget friends' birthday parties, etc.)

If you see my brain, will you please return it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home