my soft spot

just a mom who plays hockey and knits

Monday, October 08, 2007

Spent some time at the Police station today

Today, I got fingerprinted. A fascinating process, really, as these days, there is no ink for your hands. The tech smushes your hands on a piece of glass and the computer shows what it sees, occasionally prompting the tech to smush again. First, thumb, then all 4 fingers at once; then the fingers individually, the roll of the finger being smeared all together like the streaks in a slow-motion scene in a movie. As I said, fascinating. A clear void where my scar from Ralph the Mouse biting me 'way back when, and various tiny hairlike lines from less violent scarifications over the years. The tech says to me, "Do you recognize your prints?" Man, no--would you? So clearly unique and cool.

Once that gets through the Department of Justice, and I get a clear TB test, I am OK to volunteer in my son's classroom. Lots of thoughts ran through my head about privacy and openness and steps we take to keep our children safe. Interesting.

And worth it, all around.

1 Comments:

At 8:04 AM, October 19, 2007, Blogger Dharma said...

As a parent one has to submit to all that to volunteer? I don't know it seems to be taking things a bit far. Now if I, who had no kids in the class, wanted to volunteer, and I wasn't in an education program at a local college, sure. But you?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home