my soft spot

just a mom who plays hockey and knits

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

He did it

I got back to the martial arts studio last night just in time to see my kid get presented with his white belt. He earned it!

This, after one teacher told him he had 9 holds and just needed to learn one more. Then he gets all obsessive about it, so I promise to find out what he needs to do to test for the belt. (I'd seen one sheet on the bulletin board that said to earn a white sash, you need to present the Pendekker* with a rose with thorns, pay a $25 fee, and some other things. I thought it was not the same as a white belt, but wasn't sure.)

*like a sensei

I called and was talking right to the Pendekker, who really stressed that I needed to communicate to G that this is a journey, etc. Sure, I can do that, but he's already obsessed. Apparently, we all did a great job, because two classes went by with no belt. Then, at Tuesday's class, he got it! He had learned 12 holds by then.

He got shown how to put it on and the rules about it (never wash it, don't let anyone else touch it without asking first, and you can always say 'no'), and couldn't stop talking about how proud he was of himself.

Then he says, "I want to make this a holiday, Mom. February 26." So there you have it. February 26, G Gets His White Belt Day. We're working on the name, obviously.

2 Comments:

At 10:58 AM, February 28, 2008, Blogger snarfdog said...

Woo hoo! Way to go G. Congratulations.

 
At 3:28 PM, February 28, 2008, Blogger Dharma said...

That sounds so great! Yeah G-man.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home