my soft spot

just a mom who plays hockey and knits

Friday, December 02, 2005

Words that strike terror into a single mom's heart.

"MY PENIS HURTS!" This is how my son greeted me this morning, walking into the bathroom while I was on the throne. As I desperately tried to garner more information, he just got more agitated and finally bellowed, "Get off the potty! I have to go pee-pee!" It didn't get a lot better. Urinating was not comfy and was especially un-comfy at the end. I popped him into the bathtub to see if warm water helped. When he peed before we left the house, it hurt again. Hoo boy.

Brought him to work for a scant few minutes, then off to Kaiser Oakland, as apparently every Kaiser child in Alameda had issues today and there were no open appointments. Saw a male doctor we hadn't before (and found that my son now thinks all doctors are women, due to his being exposed to female doctors almost exclusively: "When is she going to get here, Mom?") who turned out to be very nice. He thought it was nothing but was glad the nurse had us do a specimen (which was exciting--I was supposed to wipe him with the soapy square but as I'm opening it, suddenly he's peeing. Well, it was a midstream catch, anyway.).

He called me after lunch to say that the lab found that lo and behold, he does have a UTI after all. Down to Alameda Kaiser Pharmacy for a giant bottle of Keflex...

Tangent: Did anyone else read Stephen King's Gunslinger series? The first one talks about a bad infection and the main character obtains Keflex from a pharmacist, who assures him it's the strongest antibiotic he could ever need. And they're giving it to my kid! But the pharmacist assured me it was not a big deal, just an educated guess as to what would cure the UTI.

...and the consulting pharmacist was so nice about giving me another bottle to split the prescription into, so I could give one to the school nurse. This has been a huge hassle in the past, when G needed a medicine 3 or 4 times a day. No way you can split meds into 4 doses and not have one fall during work hours.

I stop by the school to give him one dose to start with, and he says, "Yay! I like medicine!" and asks for more when I give him his first dose. Funny guy. O'course, I have to be the serious mom and say things about only getting as much as you need, even if it tastes good.

I'm lucky he likes medicine. And that he's no longer yelling "My penis hurts!" at me. That's good, too.

3 Comments:

At 5:14 PM, December 02, 2005, Blogger heather said...

wow. well at least you got the meds pretty quick. and hilarious that he seems to like taking it!

 
At 6:28 PM, December 02, 2005, Blogger andrea said...

eek! glad he can verbalize that stuff clearly and concisely! me, i probably woulda waited until something fell off.

 
At 8:42 PM, December 03, 2005, Blogger snarfdog said...

Pretty cute that Graham. Even not being a single parent this time around, that still would have struck fear in my heart. I'm glad things are all right.

As for Keflex, it is actually a fairly benign but effective antibiotic as drugs go - no need to fear Stephen King. ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home