my soft spot

just a mom who plays hockey and knits

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Organizing is such a lot of work.

Don't get me wrong; I know it's worthwhile. But damn, it's a lot of work to get things organized, especially when your tendency is to stack things on flat surfaces.

I got a set of shelving set up last night, to hold Graham's toys in the basement. I put it in the space where there was a simple desk. (I had planned to sew down there. Since it hasn't happened in 8 years, I'm thinking it's not going to.)

I cleaned off the desk and cleared out its drawer and this will be Graham's desk for now. I'll get a set of rolling files for his papers and teach him how to file his own stuff. I'll move it upstairs when I have room for it.

Graham's room is slowly emerging. I can't believe how long it takes! After I sort out clothes and obvious trash (thousands of tissues), there is a set of random stuff that needs sorting through. I've labeled two drawers "small toys" and one "small stuffed toys" to store them downstairs. He is choosing to donate a bunch of stuff and decided he didn't want his Brio-type trains nor the Lincoln Logs. I sold them for $15 and decided to give him the money, as they were his (I said I'd take $5 for my trouble but either he didn't want to or was too busy bugging his eyes out at $15 cash).

Pretty soon now, he'll have a whole new room and I'll have a cleaner, lighter house. Nice.

6 Comments:

At 12:18 PM, June 21, 2006, Blogger andrea said...

OMG, ITA! i want to be more organized but that requires getting organized and then STAYING organized. so much easier to buy another tape measure!

we still have to get a filing cabinet of some sort.

 
At 12:58 PM, June 21, 2006, Blogger Dharma said...

I am so proud of you!!!

 
At 4:23 PM, June 21, 2006, Blogger Wyatt's Mom said...

Wow you get a dumpster? I want a a dumpster, so cool. Can I come ogle it?

 
At 4:37 PM, June 21, 2006, Blogger Jennie said...

Honey, you can come *touch* it!

 
At 12:37 AM, June 22, 2006, Blogger wen said...

That's great. It is really hard work (emotionally and physically) to declutter, so good for you!!

 
At 5:10 PM, June 23, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's my project for the summer, well, along with some knitting. You'll be my inspiration.

I'm not much of a blog reader, but this is my second visit to yours. I love the humour in your writing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home