my soft spot

just a mom who plays hockey and knits

Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Spending money on oneself

I just booked a ticket to go back East to a Knit Camp. Hey, stop laughing!

I had saved a good pile for the France trip, and even after Lair of the Bear, had some left over. Then realized that part of the France trip was "me time"--vacation time for just me. So I started looking around at things I might want to do by myself. Looked at Stitches West and East, Camp Stitches East and Camp Stitches West, and Meg Swanson's Knitting Camp. They were all interesting but pretty pricey.

Then I remembered that my GLBT-Knit email list was planning a "Knit Camp" in the East in April! And it's in Bennington, VT. Due to life being much smaller back there (!), Bennington is just a couple of hours from Albany, NY, where my friend Ari lives and whom I'd love to see again, and just a couple of hours from Northhampton, MA, where my friend Dharma has lived and where incredible WEBS is based, just a few hours from Syracuse and Ithaca, where other friends live. (I am still finding this hard to believe.)

So I had the booking up on my computer last week and... did nothing. Had it up yesterday and... did nothing. Had it up this morning, up to the "do it" page and... couldn't click that button.

This is the first serious $$ trip I've ever booked just for myself. It is a big freakin' deal for me. Lots of issues of spending, frugality, worthiness, and entitlement come up.

Finally, I click the button. Am required to call a toll-free number to confirm the credit-card information, and... I've booked the wrong day. Yikes! She kindly changes the reservation, costing me a whole $5 more, and then finds me a rental car for $10 less than I was able to find anywhere. Looks like I'm going to Vermont!

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 10:51 PM, January 30, 2007, Blogger Dharma said...

Honey, Bennington to Ithaca is 4 hours. Bennington to Syracuse is 3 hours. Ithaca-Syracuse is an hour apart closer or further to Bennington depending on direction. I have not been keeping track of the schedule, but I can tell you that just being in Ben, going to Albany (I still say have Ari meet you in Noho), and going to Webs (which is a multi-hour excursion - trust me! is plenty. Enjoy a few things deeply and come back rested.

 
At 10:53 PM, February 01, 2007, Blogger Wyatt's Mom said...

Glad you pushed that button! You deserve me time! enjoy your trip.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home