my soft spot

just a mom who plays hockey and knits

Wednesday, July 25, 2007

He's right; it doesn't do its job

G started having ear pain last Friday. It was worse on Saturday, so I gave him liquid children's Motrin. On Sunday, after having seen Ratatouille (anyone else craving the stew after seeing this?), he burst into tears as we walked to our car. "It hurts so much, Mom!" He begged me to take him to the doctor. I canceled hockey and my sitter, and called Kaiser. No more urgent appointments that day (and I wasn't going to pay $100 for an E.R. visit for an earache), so I made an appointment the next day, close to noon.

The next morning, he was miserable again, so I called and they were able to find an earlier appointment. I offered him more Motrin to hold him until our 10AM appointment.

"No!"
"Honey, why not?"
"You keep giving it to me, and it doesn't work! My ear still hurts today!"

I had, apparently, failed to mention that it only works for a number of hours, and then stops.

Thankfully, the antibiotic seems to have finally kicked in, and his ear is much better and the fever has stopped spiking. Curse you, aqua-borne otitis externa and media!

2 Comments:

At 4:36 PM, July 26, 2007, Blogger Dharma said...

Poor G-man.

 
At 7:15 AM, July 27, 2007, Blogger wen said...

poor kiddie. i remember the summer ear infection (usually swimmer's ear for me). if it's swimmer's ear, get him some earplugs for the pool and/or make sure he empties the water out of his ears after swimming or bathing. (you can have him jump up and down with the blocked ear facing down by having him tilt his head sideways. the water will go 'plonk' out of the ear and the jumping is kinda fun. ;)

if it's not water related, ah well. disregard.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home