my soft spot

just a mom who plays hockey and knits

Friday, August 10, 2007

What to do? What to do?

I have a hockey game tonight, at 9PM. My option for childcare is hiring a sitter who would put G to bed after half an hour, and then just hang around, or put him in Parents Night Out at a local gym, where he gets dinner, lots of exercise (plenty of stuff to jump on, climb on, run on), and a movie for $30. He's happy; I'm happy; and I can make it by 10:58 if the traffic gods smile on me. A win-win, really.

But since I drop him off at 6, I'm left with about 2 hours to fill before I leave for hockey. I found myself casting about for something to do--should I call a friend and arrange dinner (and explain that even if we're having a great time, I have to jet at 8PM)? Go shopping? Something else?

Then I realized: hey, I can just have some time to myself, relax, watch TV, knit. Sort of a night off. Works for me! (and I get time to finish laundry that I'll need to wear at the game)

Isn't it funny that I frantically need something substantive to fill the time? What is that, the Protestant Work Ethic?

1 Comments:

At 7:37 PM, August 13, 2007, Blogger Dharma said...

Honey that is how you generally live your life, little down time. Ever. It's good for you. I promise.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home