my soft spot

just a mom who plays hockey and knits

Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Book questions, fun!

Rabbitch wisely didn't tag me, as I might have molotov'd her, but I was intrigued by these questions, so I will answer anyway.


1. Hardcover or paperback, and why? Spiral bound. Lies flat while you're reading. Well, if I must choose, hm... honestly, I like them both. Paperback is more affordable, lighter, more compact, less guilt if you toss/donate it; hardcover is easier to read, as she says, with a stapler holding the pages open while you knit, and more substantial.

2. If I were to own a book shop, I would call it... I love rhyming sites: I came up with Chilly con Yarny.

Later: I'm so stupid! A bookshop, not a yarn store.

OK... By Hook or By Book. A book and yarn store.

3. My favorite quote from a book (mention the title) "Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something." (The Princess Bride, and yes, it is a book, as well as a movie. In fact, if you liked the movie, read the book! It is great fun and you'll see how very true to the book the movie is.)

4. The author (alive or deceased) I would love to have lunch with would be... Neil Gaiman. After Neverwhere, the guy can do no wrong. He also has a website and seems like a really normal, real guy, despite being a genius.

5. If I was going to a deserted island and could only bring one book, except for the SAS survival guide, it would be… A book of matches. A big one.

6. I would love someone to invent a bookish gadget that… was a really, really good booklight. One that didn't tweak the book, worked on hardcover and softcover books, lit all of the pages, and was lightweight. And rechargeable.

7. The smell of an old book reminds me of... History. Family. Intrigue.

8. If I could be the lead character in a book (mention the title), it would be… Westley. I'd love to be a great swordsman. And say things like, "Good work. Sleep well. I'll most likely kill you in the morning."

9. The most overestimated book of all times is… A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius. Snorefest.

10. I hate it when a book… Yanks and drags you along to the point that you put/throw it aside because you're tired of being treated so badly.

It doesn't help to have stupid errors in a book, like there/their/they're or its/it's or, in a recent book, site/sight. I don't like being distracted by editorial/proofreading errors when I'm trying to follow a storyline.

That said, there is really a surfeit of good books out there, I'm finding. My book club is currently reading a great one, that is making me laugh out loud. And who doesn't need a good LOL these days?

1 Comments:

At 8:08 AM, October 19, 2007, Blogger Dharma said...

Temple was so predictable for me. Disappointing because I have really enjoyed some of her other work. I need to read more fiction. My new neighborhood has a book club I hear, I'll have to check it out. According to meetup.com there is a lesbian book club in Dayton. One day.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home