my soft spot

just a mom who plays hockey and knits

Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Meme from snarfdog

-Wrapping paper or gift bags? Wrapping paper, except for those weird-shaped gifts.
-Real tree or artificial? Artificial. We've traveled for Xmas so many times, it's nice to have a tree we can put up, decorate, and then not worry about fire danger while we're gone. (Or, God forbid, have to take down BEFORE Christmas!)
-When do you put up the tree? Well, this year, I put it up like last Saturday. I usually try to get it up the first week of December.
-When do you take the tree down? Natural tree, by the first pickup. Fake? Whenever I damn well please.
-Do you like eggnog? YUM. And Allison taught me how to spike it this year! Lovely with a little drizzle of bourbon (don't worry, Mom, there's lots of Bourbon left).
-Favorite gift received? The kind that makes me think warm fuzzy thoughts about the giver all year long. (Or the yummy kind that's gone by Dec. 26.)
-Do you have a nativity scene? We do now. It's more of a work in progress than anything else. Started it 2 years ago and we have several sheep, a sickly looking cow, 1 wise man, and a baby Jesus. Maybe a Mary.
-Hardest person to buy for? I have several friends who seem to see something they want and just buy it. Makes it super hard.
-Easiest person to buy for? My Mom, I guess. She's great about letting me know early what she wants.
-Worst Christmas gift you ever received? Holy cow. A wonderful, sweet neighbor gave me a poncho when I was maybe 10 (and ponchos were out out out) that was an orange the color of vomit. I hated that thing. Loved her, though. She meant well.
-Mail or email Christmas cards? Mail if at all. I'll try again this year. I also believe in New Year Cards.
-Favorite Christmas movie? The Grinch. Always.
-When do you start shopping for Christmas? Mostly by October, although I do sometimes get something early in the year when I spot it.
-Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? Oh yes, honey. Some things are just not for me. I was able to Freecycle a gift this year to someone who really needed it. That felt great.
-Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? Peppermint... well, anything. Peppermint "Orange" is terrific.
-Clear lights or colored on the tree? Colored, the kind with 7 functions. I pulled them off someone's tree that they'd dumped by the curb on 12/26 one year. Love them.
-Favorite Christmas song? I really like almost all of them, but lately, "The Most Wonderful Time of the Year" keeps swooping through my head.
-Travel at Christmas or stay home? We've traveled more years than not, but this year, we're staying put.
-Can you name all of Santa’s reindeer? Nope, I always forget one or two.
-Angel on the tree top or a star? Angel. When I was growing up, it was a little stuffed fabric peacock.
-Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning? One Christmas eve; the rest, Christmas morning.
-Most annoying thing about this time of year? Everyone saying "Merry Christmas" to me when they don't know that I celebrate. What if I were Jewish? It would be so maddening. What's wrong with asking first? It's easy enough.
-What I love most about Christmas? My son's eyes light up at seeing what "Santa" brought. He stopped believing in the Tooth Fairy before he lost his first tooth, so darnit, I'm going to enjoy this!

I'm not tagging anyone--I'd love to see your answers, though. Blog them (and tell me), or put them in the comments if you don't have a blog.

If you celebrate--Merry Christmas!

2 Comments:

At 11:25 AM, December 27, 2007, Blogger Dharma said...

Nice way to get to know you better.
Grinch is fabu. Love Rudolph as well though.

 
At 1:07 AM, December 31, 2007, Blogger snarfdog said...

The girls really got into the holiday movies this year, and whaddya know? The Grinch is their favorite too, and no the Jim Carrey one version, but the original cartoon version (they call it "Mommy's Grinch" because I told them I watched it when I was little.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home