my soft spot

just a mom who plays hockey and knits

Thursday, April 24, 2008

Goodbye, Hairy Potter

Last week, I looked into the guinea pig cage and saw our longhaired guinea pig, Hairy Potter, lying still on her back. Oh, boy. That moment I'd been waiting for had come.

When we got our two, Hairy Potter and Molly (the shorthaired orangey one), the woman who gave them to us said they were 3-5 years old. Some websites say they live to 3-5 years, so I thought we had a tiny commitment. That was probaby 5 years ago. I am not kidding.

Other websites (actually, this is a different page from the SAME website!) say 6-8 years. When I heard that from G's Kindergarten teacher, my jaw dropped. Eight years? I'm not sure I would have agreed to this, had I known that.

Last fall, I brought the piggies in to work while we were going to be on vacation, and a coworker picked up Molly and said that either she was pregnant or she was really fat. Well, since Hairy had failed to knock her up for the previous whatever years, I was guessing fat. And I did take a microsecond to consider worrying about her food intake. And then I realized that a guinea pig who was too fat from carrots is really not one of my top-10 concerns.

But I did have a soft spot for Hairy. Goodbye, H.P.

1 Comments:

At 11:34 AM, April 27, 2008, Blogger Dharma said...

Aw. Kinda sad.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home