my soft spot

just a mom who plays hockey and knits

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Christmas Questionnaire

Like the last one, from my friend FiberQat.

1. Wrapping paper or gift bags? I love the ease and speed of gift bags. And they have handles! But it does seem like cheating sometimes. Plus, I'm a sucker for giftwrap sales and always get a roll or two.

2. Real tree or artificial? I love the smell of a real tree. But we are so often gone on the day, and even if we aren't, it's yet another thing for me to remember to maintain. We've had a fake tree for 4-5 years now and I adore it. I also hate the idea of taking the tree down before we go away for Christmas, and with a fake tree, I can leave it up, no problems.

3. When do you put up a tree? Whenever I feel like it. Early or late.

4. When do you take the tree down? This would definitely be late.

5. Do you like eggnog? Only the storebought kind. I'm not big on brandy in my egg nog. I love that I can have Lite eggnog guilt-free. I also love eggnog ice cream and eggnog lattes.

6. Favorite gift received as a child? I think it would be the Mousetrap game. I loved that game.

7. Hardest person to buy for? Ugh, my dad. Years and years of Old Spice and/or socks. Last year, I thought I was so smart, knitting him a Cal Colors reversible hat and beautiful stranded mittens for my stepmom... and then they announced they'd really love a group gift of a GPS. headdesk

8. Easiest person to buy for? Well, me! I always find something at Christmastime that I'd love. After that, my mom. She's good about saying what she wants, early, and where it might be found.

9. Do you have a nativity scene? Yep. Started one from a kid's magazine a few years ago. I think we still need a few folks, but I know we have two sheep, a cow, and a few shepherds. I think we also have a baby Jesus, but I'm not sure. (Yes, yes, he's fairly essential, but the sheep were easy.)

10. Mail or email Christmas cards? Mail. When/if I get to it.

11. Worst Christmas gift you've ever received? Oh, my lord. I got a plaid poncho one year when I was a kid, green/orange on one side, reversing to solid vomit orange on the other. My sister got a huge, heavy, unattractive leather purse that year. They were from our dear neighbor who was so sweet, it wasn't worth being annoyed about it. But I never, ever wore it.

12. Favorite Christmas movie? There are so many good ones, but I'm always a sucker for the original How the Grinch Stole Christmas. "Fah who for-aze..."

13. When do you start shopping for Christmas? All year long, if I spot something. The trick is to remember I bought something... and where it is stashed.

14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? Only a few times. Got caught once (oops!).

15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas. Just about anything pepperminty.

16. Lights on the tree? Yes, the fancy multicolored ones that do all the racing, fading, flashing stuff. Love them. Bought new ones this year because the old ones had faded so. The new ones do twice as many things. Crazy.

17. Favorite Christmas song? Ave Maria, sung by Joan Baez. That means Christmas to me.

18. Travel at Christmas or stay at home? Travel more than not. I've done Christmas at home a couple of times since G came, but he loves to go to my sister's, and they sometimes have snow.

19. Can you name all of Santa's reindeer? I don't think I could name three.

20. Open presents Christmas Eve or Christmas morning? One Christmas Eve, the rest Christmas morning. An uneasy stalemate between my parents' traditions.

21. Most annoying thing about this time of year? Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer. Ugh.

22. Favorite ornament or color? All of them. They all have special meaning to me.

23. What do you want for Christmas this year? A new (small) camera, but I don't think I'll get it. Which is fine; a sweet friend has offered me her old one.

24. Angel on the tree top or a star? Angel now, holding a "candle" that is actually a light. We never had either while I was growing up, just this weird peacock kind of bird that was wired to the top.

25. Favorite Christmas dinner? Hm, turkey most likely. I love 'em all. Ham, roast beef, even cracked crab.

If you celebrate it, a very merry Christmas to you.

If you don't, bear with us. I know it gets annoying. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home