my soft spot

just a mom who plays hockey and knits

Monday, January 26, 2009

Gratitude

This weekend was quite the weekend. So many parts were uplifting, humbling, both.

During one of the games, I remembered with a smile Lucinda telling me, in Green, that she was going to make it her mission to get me into Red that season. (She did.) I was so touched by this. I did work hard, and listen, and was so happy to get into Red. I know that the skills and thought processes she taught me helped me be a better player last weekend as well. Thanks, Lucinda.

And last Fall, Liz asked me to Burninate Los Angeles. I backed out after realizing how bad my tennis elbow was, wanting to heal it completely before restarting hockey. I'm sure part of my reticence was being cowed by having seen the Burninators in action and knowing I'd be more of a dead weight than a help. She asked me again for Las Vegas, holding the spot for Cheddah first (which made sense, my cheesy friend being an original Burninator) and then offering it to me. As we went into the weekend, I was a little surprised at my feelings of lightness, really having internalized that my best is the best I can do. I'm sure the tremendous team spirit helped this, and the warm welcome I got as a player this time (having gone with this team to Vegas last year as a child-watcher). Viv (or someone else!) officially welcomed me by hiding a Love-a-Lot CareBear in my hockey bag during the first game. But as I skated out to receive my Tournament Championship trophy, I knew I'd earned it with hard work on the ice. Thanks for the faith in me, Liz.

And the tournament revved me up so much that I turned into the Endless Talker and Questioner. I know I periodically drove Liz and Andrea batshit with my comments and questions. Thanks for not killing me.

When I picked G up, he triumphantly said he didn't miss me once during the weekend. He was quite happy to have some snuggle time before bed, but he certainly didn't seem worse for wear. I don't think the Aunties nor my friend J read this blog, but if you do, thanks for taking such awesome care of my kid. He also commented that the breakfasts and dinners were "terrific."

And finally, I'm grateful to God/the powers that Be for my good health, good friends, wonderful family, currently healthy work environment. Thanks Be.

3 Comments:

At 5:42 PM, January 26, 2009, Blogger Megan said...

And now I have read YOUR blog post about the tournament too. :)

(this is librarygrrrl from ravelry)

 
At 8:56 PM, January 26, 2009, Blogger cheddah said...

Jennie, i'm so glad you were able to Burninate! i can't wait to skate with you in Vacaville.

and, you were awesome during the games - that one shift where you kept the puck in the zone and fired off shot after shot - we were going nuts for you up in the stands.

*thumpthumpthump*

 
At 9:21 AM, January 29, 2009, Blogger Dharma said...

What a sweet and moving post. I am so happy for you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home