my soft spot

just a mom who plays hockey and knits

Monday, May 05, 2014

Fort La Latte

We set out on a day trip to Fort la Latte, a place that was first built in 987 (no numbers missing there). It's been destroyed several times over, but was last built in, I think, the 1300s. There have been updates here and there, including a new floor in the room with the vaulted ceiling. 

The fort has three areas of safety: the outside gate, with a drawbridge; the inside gate, also with a drawbridge; and the keep, which is very, very high (so high that when a woman stepped back for me to climb the last little bit if I liked, I blurted "Jamais de ma vie!" by which I meant, "Never in my life do I want to go!" It was high enough. There was an oubliette (which I wish I'd gotten a photo of), a conical prison cell where the bathroom was a slit in the wall, reminiscent of the Eyrie in Game of Thrones (where the outside wall of all prison cells are open. You want to leave? The first step's a doozie).

After our visit, we went to a nearby crêperie (judiciously open on a Sunday, when tons of other stuff was closed) for a cold drink, where I got this photo of what I think is a flag of Celtic nations. I can name some--Ireland, Wales, Brittany--but certainly not others.


This flag was flying in front of the crêperie. All Celtic countries? 

Uh, Charlie? Where ya goin'?

Charlie crouched in a fireplace under a very cool vaulted stone ceiling.

That Charlie. Back in the stocks again.

Our first view of Fort La Latte. (these photos are out of order)

Cap Fréhel, from Fort La Latte.

View down into the beautiful sea. Our weather is getting better and better.

1 Comments:

At 10:55 AM, May 06, 2014, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep, after a quick Google, it looks like they're indeed the flags of Celtic nations: Ireland, Wales, Scotland, Cornwall (white cross on black), Isle of Man (armored legs on red), Brittany (pointy tree bits with horizontal black and white stripes) and Galicia (northwest Spain; blue slash on white). In this case, of course, 'nation' is being used in its original sense: "territories in Northern and Western Europe whose own Celtic languages and/or cultural traits have survived."

*beeeep* This has been a public service announcement. :-)

- McJedi

 

Post a Comment

<< Home