my soft spot

just a mom who plays hockey and knits

Friday, May 20, 2005

More than one way to descend stairs

Yesterday, after lunchtime, my front stairs were a bit wet. Trusting that friction would win out, I stepped down--and my feet came flying out from under me. I bounced down the stairs, ending in a crumpled heap at the bottom of my 7 concrete steps.

I was lucky in two ways: 1) I have a well padded butt, which made me bounce (honestly! I bounced!) rather than break my tailbone, and 2) my head didn't hit the stairs. My back did, which was unpleasant, and apparently, my left elbow did, which hurt.

I limped back to work and immediately iced my elbow. Didn't realize how bad my butt was bruised or I would have iced it too. (No, I have no pride at all.) A friend ominously warned me that I would be in awful shape come morning. She was right--well, not awful, but not great. My kid wanted me to lie down with him last night while he fell asleep; just couldn't do it. I lay down with him for bare minutes and had to get back up again. Squished in a very firm twin bed: as GHWB said, not gonna do it.

But as for falling down 7 concrete steps--I don't recommend it. Give this one a pass!

4 Comments:

At 9:40 PM, May 22, 2005, Blogger Viv said...

Ow! Sorry to hear of your bounce down the stairs, but glad nothing broke!

 
At 10:44 PM, May 22, 2005, Blogger Jennie said...

Thanks. It's finally a distant memory. I *still* don't recommend it. Imagine if I'd injured myself & couldn't play hockey in June! Horrors!

 
At 1:43 PM, May 23, 2005, Blogger andrea said...

ouch! that's no fun. so glad you didn't hit your head! your stairs are scary. bad, stairs, bad!

 
At 2:05 PM, May 23, 2005, Blogger Jennie said...

Very bad. You're in a timeout, stairs! Think about what you've done.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home