my soft spot

just a mom who plays hockey and knits

Tuesday, May 10, 2005

QOTD: Are you a Change Back person?

It has recently occurred to me that there are two types of people* in this world: those who want their change back, and those who don't. I seem to be surrounded by no-change-back people. It is foreign territory to me. My last girlfriend and I had a running tab that went something like this: "Well, you paid for the iced coffees, so I owed you $1.25, but I paid for dinner, so you owe me $5.75." We rarely rounded things up or down by much and we really did pay each other the five and three quarters, too. And we were comfortable with this.

(*which reminds me of a joke: "There are three types of people in this world: those who can count, and those who can't.")

Others, when you buy them a $1.79 carton of milk, hand you $2 and are done with it. Or you buy them a $18 carton of cat-food cans and they hand you a $20 and don't seem to ever want that extra $2. It's generous of them, or maybe it's easier, but I end up feeling lost. How can you not want your $2 back? I find myself wanting to play by their rules, but more often than not offer them a perplexing handful of coins....

So, are you a Change Back person, or not? Or is there an in-between?

6 Comments:

At 9:23 AM, May 11, 2005, Blogger heather said...

i never really thought about this but i think for me there is an inbetween. i would say 90% of the time i am NOT a changeback person. the 10% where i do care about getting the change back happens either because the change is a large amount (more than $5 let's say) or because i'm really not that fond of the other person and don't want to throw $ at them. :-p

 
At 10:09 AM, May 11, 2005, Blogger Viv said...

Hrmm, yeah, what Heather said. :)

I'm usually no changeback, and with most friends, they realize it all works out, and will no changeback with me when the situation reverses.

This brings up a related question: do you remember to pay people back (sums greater than $5)? I always do, but some of my "friends" consistently don't ... I don't take it personally, but I do view it as a reflection of who they are as a person, which is what earns them the quotes around "friend", 'cause I really don't need people in my life who are that irresponsible ... or who purposely are trying to take my money by not paying me back.

 
At 11:39 AM, May 11, 2005, Blogger andrea said...

ha, good question, i'm a no changeback with friends. it's just easier, i can't be bothered to nickel and dime. it evens out, like if i get dinner, the other person will get the movie tickets. and even if it doesn't, can't be bothered.

wrt to viv related question: yep, i always pay back...unless i completely forget, in which case, i'd hope that my friend would remind me! (psst, do i owe you money from denver? i've been really scatterbrained lately.)

 
At 6:51 PM, May 11, 2005, Blogger Jennie said...

Well, I always do, unless I forget, which happens. A lot. You guys better remind me when I owe you money because I *really* like to pay it back.

 
At 7:10 PM, May 11, 2005, Blogger Viv said...

It's funny, with me, I always remember to pay people back, I never remember if my close friends forget to pay me back, and I always remember if my acquaintances, i.e. "friends" don't pay me back.

 
At 1:16 PM, May 13, 2005, Blogger Liz said...

No change. No way. I never want to be part of that akward 'you owe me money' thing. I will always pay too much rather than cause a scene.
So if you're the one who hasn't been paying enough of the dinner bill all these years, it's my ass that's been covering you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home