my soft spot

just a mom who plays hockey and knits

Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Sleep troubles, version 3

When Graham was a baby, he woke up at baby intervals but slept through pretty early. (Note that 'sleep through" is defined as 5 hrs by most folks, a horrible fact to learn when you really want 8 hrs of solid sleep.) So I survived the initial weeks and was grateful for the sleeping when it came.

Then when he was 2, I was ready for him to sleep in his own crib, in his own room. The existance of a girlfriend and the possibility of sex highly influenced this. He did not take well to sleeping in his crib every night. After girlfriend and I parted ways, I took him back into my bed and we slept well.

Then he got a bed from a generous family in San Leandro. Very high quality twin mattress set. He slept in his own bed after I lay down next to him 'till he fell asleep... maybe for a few months. Then he came back into my bed full-time.

Luckily, he was a pretty quiet, still sleeper. None of the kicking my sister reported and not a lot of the pinwheeling I'd heard about.

Fast-forward to now. I'm ready to get my freak on. And Son Number One has developed the unfortunate habit of bracing his feet against my back while he sleeps. I inch away, he reseats his feet, with gentle pressure all night. I wake up with backache. Repeat.

So I explain that he is going to sleep in his own bed from now on, period. No discussion. And for 5 nights, I get him into his bed, we read some books, and I sit and read my book while he falls asleep. So far, so good.

But the last two nights (YAWN!) we've had trouble. He tosses and turns, I read and wait, he talks to me, I declare Silence, he signs "I love you" in sign language, I sign "I love you; go to sleep NOW!", he gets up and hugs me, I hug him and tell him I'm outta here in 5 mins whether he's asleep or not. Insanity continues for the next hour. I finally lay down with him and he falls asleep in 5 minutes.

The moral of the story is, just lie down in the first place and get it over with. How can I not remember this? Oy.

5 Comments:

At 8:24 AM, May 04, 2005, Blogger heather said...

good idea. get him out of the bed before his legs are so long he can push you off the edge. ;-)

 
At 11:46 AM, May 09, 2005, Blogger andrea said...

you're getting your freak on? with who??? damn, leave for a week and all hell breaks loose! well, good hell, that is. =D

 
At 12:11 PM, May 09, 2005, Blogger Jennie said...

OK, *potentially* get my freak on, with some unnamed, as-yet-undiscovered person. Better? No hell breaking loose, except on the ice in Denver. (wow)

 
At 12:19 PM, May 12, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Jennie, your son and mine are only a week apart and we're having the same exact problems with them. My pediatrician warned me that if I didn't get him out of bed early on we'd have him there til Kindergarten. Well, looks like he was wrong. He'll still be there in Kindy! And I have a partner that technically should be sharing the bed, but she sleeps in his. Anything wrong with this pic?

 
At 1:28 PM, May 12, 2005, Blogger Jennie said...

Yeah, how the heck do you have sex with your partner? For me, I had to reach the breaking point to kick him out. The cool part is that what I thought I'd miss--I don't! He crawls into bed with me in the morning, 6ish, and I still get my cuddles.

So... what's your breaking point?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home