my soft spot

just a mom who plays hockey and knits

Thursday, March 30, 2006

On stress (some churchy stuff)

I was just chatting with my sister that we're doing something at church tonight, and she said, "Look out! They want your soul!" and I laughed and said, "No, no, no; they want my money." Ha.

Anyway, we're doing a video series for Adult Ed this Spring and last night's session about Exodus, and was really interesting. I chatted with my co-editor (we being The Comma Queens) and she had really glommed onto the sin/atonement concepts, whereas I really glommed onto the bondage/liberation.

Part of divesting myself from obligations is about lightening up and simplifying my life. I've been in bondage (no jokes from the peanut gallery) in my life, making it too complex and taking on stress from all directions. Declining responsibilities and clearing things up is really liberating.

I've given up one obligation at church, editing the monthly newsletter (as of June). A friend asked, "What are you going to do when June rolls around and they haven't replaced you?" "Let 'em hang," I said. There will not be a newsletter for July/August if that happens.

And I need to quit Lab Rescue. I have a few people outstanding to sign up and then I'll send in my resignation. That will be a relief, too.

Finally, I'm actually considering hiring a cleaning service. Someone just told me that her cleaning lady asks to do the laundry and dishes. Be my guest!

Now, if I could just get a personal secretary, I'd be set.

4 Comments:

At 3:46 PM, March 31, 2006, Blogger heather said...

i can do shorthand. do you want to dictate a letter to me? not one about bondage. because you said to avoid that.

 
At 4:59 PM, March 31, 2006, Blogger andrea said...

definitely drop rescue...doing that for long really sucks your soul out and you end up really hating people. not that i did rescue or anything, that was all liz but it was obviously enough stress that it affected me too.

i want to get a housecleaner but i'm mortified at the state of our house, though it IS getting better. well, at least until my mountain of clothes toppled off the dresser. i keep looking at the stuff and going, it'll just take a minute, i can do it...and then it never gets done.

what do people with their mail?!

 
At 5:12 PM, March 31, 2006, Blogger Dharma said...

If you change your mind about bondage, I have some excellent references.

For you and Andrea, I would certainly adjust my rates for organizing. Hm let's see I usually charge $25/hr so for you people it would be................$45/hrs!

 
At 10:47 AM, April 03, 2006, Blogger wen said...

it's so good to release those things that take time and that we do out of guilt and obligation. i have a hard time doing that, but am getting better about it. i always just put a wish out to the universe that the job/task etc. goes to someone who wants it and who will do it joyfully!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home