my soft spot

just a mom who plays hockey and knits

Thursday, April 13, 2006

My Ahab

Was about to take G to school this morning when I looked down and realized that the 1-2" I had left last night had grown to easily 5". It did not rain between 3AM and 7AM, I don't think. This must have seeped UP from the French Drain. Need I rail against French Drains again???

I restarted the pump and it pumped very poorly. Took G to school, called in to work, and went down to investigate. Pump is completely clogged with rose leaves. Unclogged it, and voila--full capacity again. Till it gets completely clogged with a rose hip.

Next, I'll go price sump pumps.

3 Comments:

At 10:33 AM, April 14, 2006, Blogger Dharma said...

Yes, please investigate a sump pump. I had done back in massachusetts, wonderful thing. I think your french drain is done wrong, or something. I'm sorry hon. These are the moments when I don't miss owning a house.

 
At 8:25 AM, April 19, 2006, Blogger wen said...

sump pumps are great. i had one at my last house, and when i was in ohio, my family had *two* (one on all the time and one as a back up) because they built our house during drought years and alas, the water table was HIGHER than the basement.

which brings me to my next comment: the water coming in may be because

1) seepage through the foundation. a good drainage person can usually fix this. my gf just had hers done, if you need a recommendation

2) the water table may be unusually high, and actually above the floor of your basement. think "high tide" :)

3) depending on where the pump is pumping the water, it may be draining right back in because it's being let off too close to the house. (this is an issue with sump pumps too--at my last house we had this problem and we solved it by running some lovely pvc pipe from the outspout (on the outside of the house) to the edge of the yard.

i can't really say much more without looking at the house and such, but i hope this helped a little.

also, get that stuff up off the basement floor. cinderblocks with doors or other scrap wood on them, old triparte futon frames and such will work wonders.

and don't forget to air/de-mold the area when the rain stops.

good luck!

 
At 8:26 AM, April 19, 2006, Blogger wen said...

hell, the punctuation and such in that last note sucks. i even left a word out. i ask for absolution! lol.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home