my soft spot

just a mom who plays hockey and knits

Monday, May 01, 2006

Well, there goes that speech.

Within the past month, I have lost 2 card keys from work. I give myself big credit that I never lost one before now, in 10 yrs at this company. (O'course, we didn't have card keys from the beginning, but I'm glossing over that for now.)

I lost one when my sister was here. It was in her car, but I think I brought it in to Starbucks when I went with the kids while she was checking out Talbot's. I called the next day, but the gal was completely unhelpful (didn't know where the lost & found was? It's not a huge Starbucks) and no one called me back, even though she said they would.

Then I got a new cardkey and didn't punch a hole in it for a neckstrap before I went to Disneyland. I thought I put it in a smart place for my return from Disneyland, but it has not resurfaced. I got a tiny lecture about being charged for lost cardkeys (which gave me a tiny heart attack till I was told they cost $7 each), but then I got an email on Friday saying, in part, that it wasn't about the cost, it was about company security. I sent a quick message back saying that I'd let them know if I found it while cleaning out the car on the weekend...

...but I stewed. I am concerned about company security! I just have a brain that does not work well for remembering things like card keys (and house keys and dog leashes and son's backpacks etc.). This was underlined this weekend when I got my soccer stuff out and found a laminated card with the items I'd need for playing soccer. I thought perhaps this was a recent development; my version of Mommy Brain. But no; that card is from before pregnancy; from back when I used to forget important soccer necessities like jog bras.

So this morning, I marched into the gal's office with a whole speech planned, about how my brain doesn't work this way, and I take company security very seriously, here is proof (soccer card) and I have not one, but two cards for hockey--one for what to bring, and one for order in which to put the gear on... and she says, I just had to go through the spiel. I know you're concerned about company security.

Well, there goes my High and Mighty Speech. What do I do with it now?

2 Comments:

At 12:08 PM, May 01, 2006, Blogger Dharma said...

You can perform it for me. I will listen, validate your concern about security and give you lots of praise for all the steps you take to be careful and remember things.

 
At 3:44 PM, May 01, 2006, Blogger andrea said...

LOL, you already did something about it...you blogged about it and gave us the speech instead. =D

i keep my badge in my wallet now, since presumably i never leave the house without it.

so far so good, i only misplaced my wallet a handful of times. ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home