my soft spot

just a mom who plays hockey and knits

Wednesday, June 07, 2006

There's a new sheriff in town.

I have been talking to a therapist and today felt totally jittery. I talked about what's been going on for me, and she pointed out

Graham's not 3 any more. Time for him to act like a big boy, and for me to expect it.

Kind of a revelation. He is going to

. dress himself totally every morning
. brush his own teeth, twice a day (me only doing checks)
. set the table
. clear the table
. feed the dog twice a day
. clean the guinea pigs' cage twice a week.

I've been hassling him to get dressed, dressing him (if only his shoes & socks), brushing his teeth about once a day (when he asked), doing all the table setting/clearing, feeding the dog, and (mostly) cleaning the cage.

Times, they are a'changing.

He is also getting a timer set to get dressed in the morning and if he doesn't get dressed in time, he gets a timeout. *wow* It never occurred to me to have consequences for dawdling/distractions etc.

I feel better already! (but that could be due to the chocolate too)

2 Comments:

At 10:40 PM, June 07, 2006, Blogger heather said...

cool, those all sound like great, managable suggestions.

suddenly i'm remembering having an oscar the grouch alarm clock at one point, and its "alarm" was oscar popping out of a garbage can and saying "wake up, you sleepyhead!" heh.

anyway, nice work!

 
At 9:30 PM, June 08, 2006, Blogger Dharma said...

I am blowing kisses to your therapist.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home