my soft spot

just a mom who plays hockey and knits

Monday, May 15, 2006

The perfect Mother's Day.

In the past, my Mother's Days as a mother have always been so-so. I let myself get caught up in a pity party of "I just want someone to take me out to a nice brunch or dinner!" and since there is no significant other, well, nothing happens. And G just refuses to drive or get a job.

This year was different. G was very accomodating about coming to my hockey game (complete with snacks, coloring book, and portable DVD player), and afterward, as we drove home, I thought of various places to go out to dinner... none of which were going to be the kind to give a toy with a meal, much to G's loud dismay. Sorry, bub, but this is my day.

I thought about Horatio's, which I'd recently learned is also owned by the owner's of Kincaid's, my very favorite restaurant. I had a feeling we'd never get into Kincaid's and was curious about Horatio's anyway. The only problem was that I didn't exactly know where Horatio's was. I knew it was on the San Leandro marina. And I am into adventures.

I also realized, as we drove north on 880, that there is a Marina Blvd exit off 880 in San Leandro. So what are the chances that Marina Blvd leads to the marina?

100%, it turns out. And there was a lovely, big restaurant in front of me: El Torito. No flippin' way was I going to trade perfectly roasted beef or broiled fish for tacos and enchiladas (not that there's anything wrong with that). I drove past, and voila, in front of me, Horatio's. It has big windows that look out upon the picturesque marina, and as a bonus, you see planes landing at Oakland Airport!

We had a wonderful dinner, G with the "best grilled cheese sandwich ever! Taste it, Mom!" (it was, indeed, an excellent grilled cheese sandwich), and me with Halibut Cheeks (who knew?) in a white truffle oil sauce (very good) and pureed celery root (tasty). I had a cocktail (first time in months!), an Appletini. G begged for the cherry, which by that time, had really been soaking in the alcohol. I finally assuaged him by asking the waitress to bring him one of his own. He received three with big, wide eyes. I amused him by tying one of the stems into a knot with my tongue.

And I got to knit while we were waiting! I chuckled as I thought of Hypothetical Spouse whinging about me knitting on Mother's Day at a fancy restaurant. Take that, Hypothetical Spouse!

A very nice Mother's Day. (made all the sweeter by our 1-0 win in hockey.)

6 Comments:

At 1:49 PM, May 15, 2006, Blogger Dharma said...

That sounds like a lovely mother's day! I will have to keep the restaurant in mind.

 
At 4:03 PM, May 15, 2006, Blogger heather said...

those look semi-pricey but tasty. good to know about both restaurants tho!

there are two ways to look at the hypothetical spouse issue tho. 1. a HS could keep you so entertained you wouldn't want to knit or 2. because they loved you so much, watching you knit would probably make them happy.

anyway, that does sound like a good day. nice work!

 
At 4:25 PM, May 15, 2006, Blogger Jennie said...

Heather, you sure have idealistic ideas about HS's. Ha!

It was a good day. Thanks!

 
At 4:52 PM, May 15, 2006, Blogger Wyatt's Mom said...

Um, Jennie dear. I love watching you knit. You and dharma are so cute together when you do it.

I'm so glad that your mother's day met all your expecations.

Sorry I missed the stem tying thingy, tho

 
At 4:56 PM, May 15, 2006, Blogger heather said...

well they are hypothetical. they might as well be perfect.

 
At 5:02 PM, May 15, 2006, Blogger Jennie said...

Heather, you're right. HS's should be thought of as perfect.

And there's Karen, who loves watching me knit. Life is good!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home