my soft spot

just a mom who plays hockey and knits

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Um, check it

My PDA died a few months ago. Not only do I keep my calendar and address book there, but I also keep several sets of shopping lists with a terrific application called HandyShopper.

I looked around for a new PDA to buy, but realized that I really, really wanted one that included a keyboard. And one that was not expensive to buy nor keep. That eliminated... well, all of them.

So I went back to the Visor Deluxe. I looked at the Palm Zire line, but they are still missing buttons. WTF is that? They took 2 buttons away, so you can't play certain games nor assign software to buttons, etc.

Anyway, the Visor Deluxe is no longer being made, so of course I turned to eBay. Found several I could live with (I was even willing to have an orange one, for Pete's sake!), and bid. People are nuts; they were bidding $50+! I finally got one from a Mailboxes Etc. "we sell for you" kind of place. After I'd bid on a graphite one (ho-hum), I realized with a sinking feeling that the auction said "Handspring Visor" without the "Deluxe" part. That means 2MB of memory rather than 8. I had upgraded to the Visor Deluxe for the possibility of having more memory--at the time, to read books (e.g. while waiting in line or at the doctor's). These days, I listen to books on my iPod, and I knit while in line or at the doctor's. But I thought of all the fancy programs I liked to have on my Visor, and whimpered.

Deal with it, I told myself. Suck it up; it's an organizer, not your life. So I thought I'd just install a subset of what I had, forgo reading books on it, not have certain games. I installed a few, fixed my calendar (sure, Mother's Day is on Monday this year! Not.), and checked the installation. Oops, I got two copies of the snap-on keyboard driver. As I went to delete it, I noticed it said, "Free Memory: 7125K of 7936K."

sound of angels singing

It's a Visor Deluxe after all.

3 Comments:

At 2:45 PM, May 03, 2006, Blogger -april said...

I know a bunch of people at Palm (former handspring people). I know they have "junk" all over the place and I can ask if they ahve any extra stuff. Are there any other older models that you're looking for?

 
At 4:12 PM, May 03, 2006, Blogger Jennie said...

Aren't you sweet! I'd adore an ice Visor Deluxe, or a Treo with a keyboard if those are extra at all... thanks!!

 
At 11:45 AM, May 04, 2006, Blogger Dharma said...

Oh Jennie. Well I'm glad it has mucho more room than you thought.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home