my soft spot

just a mom who plays hockey and knits

Thursday, March 29, 2007

Love those questions

I'm reading Treasure Island to G at night, one chapter at a time. We got to a place where there was a barrel of apples open so the sailors could help themselves at any time. It's such a big barrel that Jim Hawkins climbs in to get the last apple.

Anyway, they also talk of beef jerky. G doesn't know what that is (I was surprised, actually). I explain what it is and that it's hard to chew and really salty, and he asks,

"Why do people eat it, then?"

and it's one of those questions that makes me think. Wait, why do people opt to eat this incredibly hard, dry, salty stuff? Oh, right, it's a lightweight way to transport and store meat without refrigeration.

But it did take me a bit to get to that answer. (And why do people eat jerky now?)

1 Comments:

At 3:11 PM, March 29, 2007, Blogger Dharma said...

What she said. Some people like it. Some people maybe have good associations with it from their youth and camping. Quick source of protein on the road, even if one is not camping.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home