my soft spot

just a mom who plays hockey and knits

Tuesday, April 03, 2007

A soft spot for him to land

G had a hard time with soccer on Saturday. Partway through his second shift, he came off the field before his shift was over, wailing, "I'm too TIIIIIIRED!" I started my usual "poor lamb" reaction, but then the assistant coach came over and gave him a good "give it the ol' college try" encouragement. He didn't succeed, but I was all in favor of that. He later apologized to me for stepping in, and wanted to know my comfort level with that kind of intervention. I encouraged him, saying I'd be happy to be G's soft spot to land and he can be the gung-ho coach; I'm fine with that. I never do know how to get G to get up and start trying again; sometimes what I say works, but often, he is just DONE when he says he's done.

In the end, though, a gung-ho coach is just fine with me. As is sitting and knitting while I watch the game. Keeps me from jumping around and yelling things I'll regret. (Not that I'm actually quiet while I sit or anything.)

It is fun to be in soccer season again.

1 Comments:

At 9:57 AM, April 06, 2007, Blogger Dharma said...

I think it is lovely for you to be a soft spot to land, but I also it might be useful for you to help determine if that's what he really needs versus a first response of "How about trying for 5 more minutes" so you and the coach are not the same but not totally diametrically opposed. Also that way you might find a better gauge of when to push and when to give in?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home