my soft spot

just a mom who plays hockey and knits

Friday, January 13, 2006

A fun night in a great new dress.

As a "holiday party," my company took us to Teatro Zinzanni last night. I think there were 30 of us total (wow!). It was great fun.

I have to get a photo taken to show y'all, but I managed to find a killer beaded black vintage dress at Salvation Army just the day before. (Nothing like planning ahead, eh?) Buying it at noon the day before gave me some time first, to try it on (no dressing rooms at our Salvation Army, argh!), and second, to let out the butt a little (it was, ah, a bit snug). I had tried it on over my jeans and knew it was hella tight. They do have a return policy (7 days, receipt & tags still on, only for exchange/store credit), but I've bought jeans there before and not managed to get back there within the 7 days, so it gave me pause. The price tag was also kinda stiff for Sally Ann--$17.00. (Other dresses were maybe $7-9.) Finally decided I'd take it home, try it on, and just be sure to return it Saturday if it didn't fit. I get to the register, and the gal says it's actually been in the store a month, so it's half off. A vintage, beaded dress for $8.50. Ha! Also found a pair of black pumps in 8.5W that fit me great--also half off. Splurged on a pearl choker for (gasp!) $12.

Letting out the back seam worked great. It was still tight, but at least I could (sort of) breathe and even sit down (carefully!). Instead of waiting till late at night, I dragged out my sewing machine right away, pinned & sewed the seam, pressed it open, and cleaned a little splotch that I discovered toward the hem. The dress was right down to my feet, with a slit in the back, but there's also a train that hangs from the back seam down past my feet and about 3" on the floor. I think I counted 9 people who stepped on the train. I brought thread in case the dress split wide open (chuckle).

The foyet of TZ has a big round bar with yummy drinks (Sexx in the Skyy) and some things for sale: feather boas, costume jewelry, beautiful beaded shawls, and... tiaras. I tried a little fluffly feather clip ($10) and it just didn't seem right. Then I saw the tiaras. I put one on and had to pay for it because I just couldn't take it off. I totally get the Miss America thing! It changes your look so much to have a glittery crown on. It was $20 and the rest of the evening (including the drinks) was free...

Later, I heard that a coworker's wife was admiring my tiara and considering getting one for herself. She wondered aloud whether I'd gotten it there at TZ. He said, "Jennie seems like the kind of person to have a cupboard full. She opens it and chooses one." Ha! I am like that. Although this is my first.

The show was terrific. Such talented folks. Two of them walked up a vertical pole and then did all sorts of gravity-defying things. A very sensual show, mostly horizontal, barely hanging onto the pole. It also made me want to work out my arms more! Such definition. Aaaah.

A very nice way to celebrate the holidays.

3 Comments:

At 3:30 PM, January 13, 2006, Blogger heather said...

dude. great description, but you HAVE to get a picture up.

 
At 3:49 PM, January 13, 2006, Blogger Dharma said...

Oh she SO does. Hubba Hubba, as my mom would say.

 
At 1:51 AM, January 15, 2006, Blogger snarfdog said...

I am soooooo jealous. My hubbys company had a Christmas party there one year, but we had to miss it because my stupid cousin was getting married. Arrrggghhhh! I still want to go.

And I would have paid good money to see you in your fabulous dress - it sounds just great. I wish I could find stuff like that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home