my soft spot

just a mom who plays hockey and knits

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Woo hoo! I'm an Olympian again!

In 1990 (Good God, 16 years ago!), I competed in the Gay Games for the first time. They were being held in Vancouver, and I had an enthusiastic soccer team at the time that was willing to coordinate details and make up a team. It was a turbulent competition--our goalie was taken out by a late kick to the lower back, from which she convalesced for the next year. With a substitute goalie, we managed to win the consolation bracket.

Then in 1994, several of us reconvened and formed another Gay Games team to compete in muggy New York City. This trip cured me of ever wanting to move to NYC. I knew my wimpy native-Southern-California ass couldn't tolerate the winters, but then I learned I couldn't tolerate the summers either. We lost miserably but I still ended up with a medal that said "athelete." Oh, and I got to watch the women's hockey while there! Yeah!

Fast forward to the present. I am now a part of Team Canada (having shucked my USA affiliation because of our President's continuing attempt to tank the entire country). I will endeavor to meet my goal but have serious trepidation. The bright spot is that I get a new hockey practice jersey out of it! Yeah!

2 Comments:

At 3:02 PM, January 31, 2006, Blogger Jennie said...

Thanks! I'm looking forward to it, when I'm not trembling in my boots.

 
At 5:00 PM, January 31, 2006, Blogger heather said...

woo! go jennie! and even if you tremble in your boots, make sure the boots are moving toward kicking the ball.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home