my soft spot

just a mom who plays hockey and knits

Thursday, January 19, 2006

It's funny what gets you.

A friend innocently sent me the link to The Dog Breed Store, which led to Black Lab Notecards, today. The photo on those note cards stopped my heart. In a bad way.

It made me remember when Max fell down the 200-plus-foot sandy cliff at Fort Funston. She ended up in the water, which I realized when I looked waaaaayyyy down the cliff to finally spot her at the bottom, whipping sea water off of her tail, having just climbed out of the water.

Some day, I'll unearth my account of that day, but let's just say it involved me going through water that was over my head and was crashing on the rocky cliffs to get her... and coming back through it.

It was not a good day. She appeared unharmed (I think she tumbled down the sandy cliff rather than outright falling; the vet found nothing). I had nightmares for a week. Shit, I still do periodically.

2 Comments:

At 5:42 PM, January 19, 2006, Blogger andrea said...

OMG, that all sounds HORRIBLE. how scary!

my heart stopped when my rainie fell into a pool and didn't know what to do. she went under and finally realized that she had to keep paddling to stay above water and get over to us so we could pull her out.

but omg, if she fell down a cliff, i would've freaked out and started crying immediately. she is NEVER allowed off-leash! =/

 
At 3:08 PM, January 20, 2006, Blogger Dharma said...

I am quite sure my heart would have stopped and would have taken a very long time to start beating again.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home