my soft spot

just a mom who plays hockey and knits

Friday, February 24, 2006

Yet another dog-owner rant

So this gal calls me last Friday afternoon. I've taken the afternoon off, initially to go to Stitches West with Dharma, but then she had to get ready for a last-minute trip to see/support her mom. So I decided to just sit at home and knit my Knitting Olympics socks.

So of course the phone rang... a lot. This one call was especially irking, as the gal kept changing her story. It was her dog; it wasn't her dog. It was her grandmother's dog; but it was where she lived. Well, she lived with her grandmother, but... blah blah blah. Finally, it came out that the damned dog is like 2 years old, and--ta-dah!--not neutered, and got out and was picked up by the pound. She "can't afford" to get the dog out of the pound and pay for the required neutering, so she basically was calling for a handout from Lab Rescue to pay for the neutering. Um, what about clinics? What about getting it done at 6 months when you should have? What about personal responsibility?

Honestly, this one steamed me up almost as much as the family who had the dog from 6 weeks old and now, at 8 years, couldn't keep her because they were moving to L.A. Where no one has dogs, I guess. Freaking LAME.

This is why rescue volunteers burn out.

3 Comments:

At 1:24 PM, February 24, 2006, Blogger andrea said...

no kidding wrt burnout. there's only so many times i can bite my tongue and not bitch slap people. how could you NOT KNOW a st. bernard would get huge?! did you not see cujo? did they not have libraries, internet, pet stores where you live so you could do some research?!

 
At 12:40 PM, February 25, 2006, Blogger Dharma said...

Yes, this sort of thing is why there's burnout. How sad for the dog. I am so sorry I couldn't go to Stitches West.

 
At 12:05 PM, February 28, 2006, Blogger Liz said...

Yep on the burnout. The last call I took was from a woman I'd turned down to adopt our very last foster. I was right to turn her down -- she had gotten a dog from someone else and within just a couple of months, needed to get rid of it ASAP.

I told her if he was a human child she wouldn't be doing this and she got all snotty. It was the closest I ever came to speaking my mind and the last call I took on behalf of rescue.

I can't see doing it again, it's just the same sad story over and over again and in time it breaks your heart.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home