my soft spot

just a mom who plays hockey and knits

Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Generous of heart

Very often, I put my kid on the "early bus" to school in the mornings. It leaves at 7:30 sharp and allows him to eat breakfast there, which he finds to be a treat. It is a challenge to get us both out of the house and ready to go by 7:20 or so and we have run for that bus plenty of times (they always hold it; very kind of them).

Today, we were ready to leave the house at 7:28. No go. I hopped in the shower and did my thing and got him to school by, oops, 8:10. The woman in the cafeteria frowned at the clock and let us have a breakfast anyway. It was tiny pancakes, 4 of them, and syrup, plus milk. My kid adores pancakes, so it turns out, breakfast was a treat anyway. I stayed with him while he ate, at his request. He dipped his pancakes in the tiny tub of syrup and I showed him how to scrape off the extra drips of syrup. From then on, with each dip, he muttered under his breath, "Stroke, stroke, stroke."

Then, with his last pancake out, he looked at me in alarm, and started to rip it in half to offer to me. What a sweetheart. "No, sweetie, I'll get breakfast at work." Another look of concern. "Really." And he ate his last pancake.

He is one of the kindest people I know.

2 Comments:

At 9:20 AM, November 07, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aren't kids darling? I'm amazed at their capacity for empathy even when faced with something they want.

 
At 11:07 AM, November 07, 2006, Blogger Dharma said...

What a lovely moment. Thanks for writing it down.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home