my soft spot

just a mom who plays hockey and knits

Monday, February 12, 2007

"Don't skimp"

I have been needing a new mattress set (yes, even the box--it's bowed in places) for some time now. I was hoping to find time to shop for one, oh, 2-3 weeks ago, and it just hasn't happened.

I mentioned this search to my mother, who cautioned me not to skimp--"Buy a good one. I'm glad I did." Then she goes on to say that she spent $400 on her mattress (she has a platform bed, so no box) and is glad she did.

I then give her a heart attack by mentioning that European Sleep Works, in Berkeley, is highly recommended, and that their cheapest Queen set is $1400. Which presumably doesn't include delivery or takeaway of the old set. So much for the not skimping.

Costco doesn't have anything that sounds affordable except for a set that curiously doesn't mention any springs (all foam? No thanks!). Ah... now that I look again, there is a set with actual coils (sheesh!) for $899 delivered. That could work!

I don't remember it being this hard.

1 Comments:

At 7:33 PM, February 12, 2007, Blogger Dharma said...

We also bought only the mattress - the most expensive part of the usual "set". I no longer remember the cost but I know it staggered me a bit the cost of such items. However, not skimping, within the limits of one's budgets, is an excellent idea.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home