my soft spot

just a mom who plays hockey and knits

Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Customer service is so weird

I bought a very cheap canopy on Memorial Day Weekend at Fred Meyer in Medford. $20 with all the tubes you slip together. Since I'm way too cheap to buy the spendy ones, I figured it could work. And it would be nice to have sun protection on camping trips.

So I start putting it together in my dining room (because I'm weird that way and it made me laugh to set up our garage-sale tent indoors when I was checking it out), and I bloody can't make the top part--the pyramid--go together. I push the last tube into place, and a part pops out from the other side. I push that into place and another piece pops apart. I got out masking tape and started taping together the segments. I must have taped 10 joints before I gave up.

The directions say, "Don't return to the store--call customer service." So I call at noon today, when I'm home for lunch. 8 customers ahead of me. I put it on speaker phone, and load up the dishwasher while I'm waiting. Finally, it's my turn. I get a very nice gal on the phone who says they don't have replacement parts for that model (not that I asked for replacement parts, but I just couldn't get the damned thing together, as if some tube is too short) and she quickly suggests they send me a new one. "With netting or without?" Mine is without, and I tell her so. Start giving her my info, and finally ask, "So will I be shipping this one back?" and she says no, I can keep it for replacement parts or whatever I want. "Um, in that case, can I say 'with netting' now?" (cause that would be nice) Sure, she says, and changes the notation in a jiffy.

OK, the thing only cost $20 (no tax! Doncha love Oregon) but is it really worth their while to ship a new one out & not ask for the old one back? I'm glad we'll have the netting, though; freaking yellow jackets drove us insane at Lake Siskiyou last year.

1 Comments:

At 12:26 PM, June 09, 2005, Blogger andrea said...

if they ship you out a new one, it's done, nothing more to do.

if you ship the old one back, someone needs to figure out what's wrong with it, fix it (wait for parts), and put it back on the shelf...or send it back to the manufacturer.

probably not worth the effort, but way to get rock the upgrade! =D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home