my soft spot

just a mom who plays hockey and knits

Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Last weekend

I've been toying with the idea of treating this like an online diary, as Andrea often does. So here's last weekend:

Friday, June 3: was a Night Care night--the last one for Graham at his preschool. For $20, they feed them, give them some fancy dessert (like make-your-own sundaes), and keep 'em from 6-9PM. I had planned to shop for clothes for Saturday with my friend Samantha but then woke up and realized that traffic from Alameda to Berkeley would be murder, and 511.org confirmed it: traffic was moving at 26 mph along the freeway. What did I do instead? Oh, right, I planned to shop here in town at the SA, but called after dinner at 6:45 and was told they were closed (that they closed at 7; interesting math, there). Oops. Stayed home & organized... something. Watched Cheapo Tivo till time to pick my guy up.

Saturday, June 4: met Sami to shop at Out of the Closet in Berkeley. Seemed like no great shakes at first glance, but I ended up finding some nice lined slacks, a great purple blazer, white blouse, belt, and matching narrow tie for not a lot of money. Wore them with my bowler (a genuine Stetson, from Disneyland, no less!) and my ska-type black buckle shoes, which I polished up. Was completely ready to get to our Spaghetti Dinner dress rehearsal, Graham dressed & ready, when I remembered that the choir always provides desserts for the dinner. Dammit! Ran off to Albertson's and could only find a coconut cream pie. Got Graham dropped off at a friend's (God bless Lynn & Terri!), went to the rehearsal... only to find that the choir was NOT providing desserts this year. Stashed pie on a high shelf.

Spaghetti dinner went very well. We sang "A 20th Century Celebration," music from the 20th century (except 70s & up because the songs were stupid). Lots of our older church folks were singing along with every song and it seemed like everyone enjoyed it. The bell choir didn't screw up mightily; actually, we did very, very well. ("The Rose" by Bette Midler and "Memory" from CATS.) Several of our youth did songs to cover the 70s and up, including "I'm Just a Girl" by No Doubt. Oy, lots of my choir friends had never even heard the song! And the choir did the music from Sister Act, as we did the year-before-last. Always popular.

Sunday, we went to church as usual. I nabbed the pie as we left and we went straight to the store to return it and buy a bunch of fruit. I hosted a meeting about finding someone to do the childcare for choir and adult ed. book studies. Graham ate like half a melon. I'm glad he didn't get diarrhea. We kept the meeting to an hour and a half, which was good because we were all tanked from having done the Spaghetti Dinner the night before (all of us singing except the Rev.)!

Graham and I ended the day with a hike in Redwood Regional Park. We didn't get as far as I'd hoped before dark, but it was fun and refreshing. I hope to complete our hike some day soon. I do have to remember to plan hikes that go downhill at the end, as Graham was running on the way out but poking along on the way back. Maddy enjoyed it, though, that's for sure!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home