my soft spot

just a mom who plays hockey and knits

Thursday, August 21, 2008

My boy, sick-ish

Dropped my boy off at his arty daycamp today, even though he has a cough. He has asthma, so when he gets a cough, he has it for like 2 weeks. So I don't tend to pull him from everything for a cough (and I told him he needs to cover his cough with his elbow each time).

But yesterday morning, he woke up with a cough. He told me with the downcast eyes that I usually get on a school day. But this is Art-camp week! I pointed out that if I kept him home, he'd miss a day of artcamp. He was fine with it, which told me he really was sick.

So he did lots of asthma treatments (a friend just called it "smokin' the peace pipe," which it really looks like, as the nebulizer makes a mist of the medicine), stayed in bed most of the day (and put on socks, with protests, when he was out of bed), and watched an endless train of movies.

He ate well (he rarely has problems with food), and asked me to make blueberry muffins. How could I decline? The Cook's Illustrated recipe called for sour cream, so I had to go to the corner store to buy some. He didn't even argue when I told him, and wasn't concerned while I was gone (with my cell, doors all locked, phone by him with instructions on how to call me). Cool.

The mini-muffins I made were so good, we ate way too many and both ended up with stomach aches. (Work finished off the rest today, thank God.)

I got him to bed early, as I had planned, and he had a solid night's sleep and woke up with still a cough, but a productive one and very chipper, so he is at artcamp right now. After he went to bed, I got a bee in my bonnet about making the Creamy Broccoli Soup from a book my sister recommended, Volumetrics, and damn if it wasn't good! And good for you! (no cream and just nonfat milk) Tasty!

I'm glad he went today, but I did enjoy Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade with him. "We named the dog Indiana!" Too funny.

1 Comments:

At 6:06 PM, August 29, 2008, Blogger Dharma said...

I love love love that recipe!!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home