my soft spot

just a mom who plays hockey and knits

Friday, August 01, 2008

My new kid

G and I took food over to my minister's house on Wednesday, to make dinner for her family. They have an 8-month-old boy, and I know it's hard just to feed yourself when your kid is that young. Plus, this dinner is dead easy (Trader Joe's: organic extra-firm tofu, Red* Curry Sauce, half a bag of frozen broccoli, light coconut milk that you at right at the end).

*or Yellow; that one's good too, but I had Red on hand

After G went into the living room to play with their son, they both remarked on how different he seems. H is doing so much better with social stuff. On the way there, in the car, he started to talk about the levels in a video game he plays, and then stopped himself, saying, "But you're not really interested in that, are you, Mom?" Wow! I complimented him on his sensitivity, and no, I'm really not interested. He mused that his friend W would be interested in talking about that game, and that he'd do that next time they were together.

My minister and her partner pointed out that he seems much happier--and he does. It is really good.

Last night, I took him to Kincaid's for dinner. They see fit to send me $20 gift cards about yearly, and I love getting an entire dinner for two for $15 plus tip. I prepped G for it a bit, since he can be squirmy at nice restaurants, but once we emerged from the parking garage, he blurted out, "I love this place! I remember this!" and we did have a great time, going over to B&N afterwards and scoring some Klutz books, a new family favorite.

And did I mention I had the best catfish I've ever had, that night? And the best mashed potatoes, too, with G's burger.

We came home too late to price things for Saturday's garage sale, but it was a very pleasant evening anyway.

2 Comments:

At 8:43 PM, August 02, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm loving that your blogging again, we sure do miss you both.

renie

 
At 12:41 PM, August 04, 2008, Blogger Dharma said...

This sounds so great. Makes me very a happy, and makes me miss you two.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home