my soft spot

just a mom who plays hockey and knits

Monday, May 12, 2008

5-4: A hard won victory

Our game yesterday was a tough one. Andrea said something at the beginning that made me think we didn't really have a chance but should try hard anyway. And when the other team scored a slider in the first 20 seconds (I swear I could feel all our disbelieving eyes watching the puck slide into the goal), I felt more dejected than resolute.

But we did fight hard, and we did lots of good stuff, and we did score 5 to their 4.

I don't actually think a lot while on the ice, so I can't write down great plays from the game, but it was really fun. And several folks said, "Nice shift!" to me after some of my shifts, which was very sweet to hear. I do feel like I'm getting better, and now I charge the defender with the puck as much as I want, since our coach has given me carte blanche to do that. It does seem to force them to make panicky passes, so I know I'm doing some good. Now to keep my legs moving after they give up the puck, and win it back. Oh, and take the puck down to the net past defenders.

And skate faster, and bend my knees, and do backwards crossovers...

Looks like I still have some work to do. But I'll take my one assist, and gladly!

2 Comments:

At 4:53 PM, May 12, 2008, Blogger Viv said...

Backward crossovers, I'll be so thrilled when I learn to do them...

 
At 4:28 PM, May 13, 2008, Blogger andrea said...

what, i would never say that! i might point out some people that would be tough to play against, but never that we wouldn't stand a chance.

kick you in the butt! and yes, you are doing awesome, you're forechecking and forcing them to cough up the puck. very cool to watch.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home