my soft spot

just a mom who plays hockey and knits

Wednesday, August 03, 2005

It's a Pensieve


My sister loaned me the CDs for a new organizational system called "Getting Things Done Fast." I listened to most of it last weekend while driving between here and Gilroy.

What I've gleaned so far is that you should always have a method of jotting down a thought you'll need to have later. So I've bought a handheld digital recorder and have taken to carrying around the foldup keyboard to my PDA with me. The concept is that if you have a safe place to put that thought (and the follow-through to deal with it once you get home/to your computer/to the office), then you don't have to keep that thought in your mind, cluttering it up and distracting you from the taskat hand (like driving, or work).

And it occurred to me: It's a Pensieve--the device that Dumbledore uses in the Harry Potter books. He retrieves thoughts from his head (as smoky strings) and puts them in a basin called a Pensieve, and then theyaren't in his head at all any more. Cool!

1 Comments:

At 5:43 PM, August 04, 2005, Blogger andrea said...

LOL. but a pensieve is heavy stone. try a sidekick, it's *much* easier to deal with. i either email myself notes or write it in the note pad or to do app. =D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home