my soft spot

just a mom who plays hockey and knits

Friday, March 09, 2007

Topics of conversation

I have taken a course on diving at Laney College twice. It's given by a guy whose name is (no kidding*) Bob Sherman, who is a terrific teacher. When I told folks about it, I ended up saying "springboard diving," because lots of people thought I went into water for long periods of time, very deep, and with a tank on my back.

*to the older set; more young readers might not know who Bobby Sherman is.

Nope, I threw my body off a diving board over and over again, sometimes with unpleasant results (remember hitting the water with your stomach, splat?), but overall, with great confidence building.

I was remembering the "springboard" part when a friend at work told me she was going to practice her sport this weekend. "What do you say?" I asked. "That you're going boating?" "Well, I usually just say 'paddling'," she says. "But with people I don't know, I add 'outrigger,' because sometimes they get a different idea..."

I love it.

2 Comments:

At 6:26 PM, March 09, 2007, Blogger Viv said...

Ooh, diving. That sounds like a great way for me to get over my fear of water. I should sign up!

 
At 6:27 PM, March 09, 2007, Blogger Viv said...

Oh, sorry, I mean, springboard diving. Sounds fun, too, after I get over the initial terror. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home