my soft spot

just a mom who plays hockey and knits

Thursday, March 01, 2007

Yay, hot oven! Boo, big check.

The appliance repair guy called back on Monday to schedule a visit for Tuesday. Called me Tuesday morning to set a time and showed up pretty close to that time. (Impressive. Wish it weren't so!)

He looked at the stove and decided I'd been right; it was the igniter. I had thought it, and the washer part, would be pretty cheap. Wrong-o. Each was about $60 and with the house call and labor (the tinest part of the bill, at $20--$10 each), I ended up writing a check for $215. Argh. They don't even take credit cards.

Oh, well, we ate Dutch Babies for breakfast today, so I guess that's worth $215 right there. I guess. There's a recipe here, but we make ours one at a time--an egg, 1/4 c milk, 1/4 c flour. Works for us! I usually eat them with fresh lemon juice and powdered sugar, but forgot to buy lemons, so we had them plain and with the sugar. Still delicious. G had been looking forward to that for a while, so it was a nice treat. And we still made it to school on time.

4 Comments:

At 10:15 AM, March 02, 2007, Blogger snarfdog said...

So worth it. How funny though. I never had these till I met Bill. His family calls them German Pancakes (we make them in pie pans - Marie Callanders work well). I also love them with lemon butter and powdered sugar.

 
At 11:32 AM, March 02, 2007, Blogger Dharma said...

Yeah, I'm about to write something similar. Prices are amazing. Dutch babies, never heard of them. May have to try it.

 
At 1:01 PM, March 02, 2007, Blogger andrea said...

what an awful name, until i remembered the gross things you told me your mother used to say...something about ripping someone's arm off and beating them with the bloody stump.

then somehow, eating dutch babies didn't seem so out of whack. =)

 
At 3:01 PM, March 02, 2007, Blogger Viv said...

I'm totally making Dutch Babies this weekend. Never had 'em, but they look good. I can't wait!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home